Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Details-DETAILS!

Recently, I decided to practice sketching on a landscape from my imagination (and a Staedtler sample sketch), inspired by Legends of the Forsaken Empire, Forfeited, Book 1.

A field and meadow overlook the sleepy, mist-shrouded village of The Vales, with ancient ruins on the distant hillsides, and a grand chapel guarding its woods to the west. This seemingly tranquil pastoral scene is hiding secrets--one a symbol of a shattered faith, which future generations must restore.


Lost Chaplet Pendant detail

Legends of the Forsaken Empire follows a powerful family's struggles with faith, corruption, scandal, political battles, and--yes--some mysterious books and beasts, which shouldn't exist except in legends.

I hope my sketching skills progress to the point of offering readers glimpses of the mysterious beasts that hunt our beleaguered Legends characters.

Until then, here's a symbol of broken faith and a quiet village surrounded by a mist that's not as benign as it appears.


Let me know what you think!

Blessings,

R. J. (and Kacy)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your new-found sketching skills are impressive! I am looking forward to this new series!

Kacy Barnett-Gramckow said...

Thank you, Robin! My goal is to create my own maps and decorations as needed for my books--I'd love to be able to insert images between scenes. :D