Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Why I deleted my websites

Stumbled across a trail block.
Yes, my websites for R. J. Larson and Kacy Barnett-Gramckow have vanished from the not quite limitless reaches of the w.w.w.
Never fear. I wasn't hacked, nor did I fail to pay my sites' host. 

Due to the recent kerfuffle over the European Union's new GDPR rules, I dug into my site and my site host's information and community pages to be sure my sites complied. To my knowledge, they didn't. Worse, I couldn't find any information on the data my site host collects (notice the said host is unnamed.) No phone numbers. No generic little notices for site owners like me, who receive visits from readers in the E.U. Nada. Nothing. (Huff!)

So I deleted both sites.

Then I received an email. With a phone number, and a formulaic plea from the site host for information. ("Was it something we said?"). But I was tired after hours of searching and striving and fretting. Did I want to continue to pay a large and inconvenient site host each month, who'd proven so difficult to reach--not to mention seemingly oblivious to its European visitors?

Nope!

However, I did want at least one page--for now--that listed my books as both R. J. Larson and Kacy Barnett-Gramckow for curious readers searching online for info. Here it is. Gram-Co-Ink

When life settles down, I might build a new site elsewhere. Until then, I'm still on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and--from time-to-time--Goodreads. Hint: I answer notes on Facebook almost daily.


Blessings, dear everyone! Now, I'm returning to work on Realm of Thorns!
The characters are becoming impatient. 

2 comments:

Sparks of Ember said...

It finally occurred to me to check my blog yesterday (I'd just been assuming something big like a free Wordpress blog would take care of it on it's own). Turns out I had to check a box to turn on an option. But I *think* it's all taken care of now.

Kacy Barnett-Gramckow said...

Blogger has thrown alerts at users for quite a while, but I didn't pay attention until last week. I checked it out through the European links, and all the "cookie-cookie-cookie!" alerts show up. :D I'm grateful!